The Lions Club of Sydney was the first Lions Club to be established in Sydney, formed in December 1952 with its Charter Night held at Windsor Gardens Chatswood on 6 March 1953 with 30 Charter members and 150 people present.

For over 60 years the Lions Club of Sydney has lived up to the Lions International Motto “We Serve” through the dedicated efforts of members, families and friends in conducting worthy community service activities. Key projects and activities have included fund raising and support for The Royal Blind Society, Legacy, Sydney Hospital & Sydney Eye Hospital, Kirketon Road Centre, Diabetes Australia, Childhood Cancer Research Foundation, Exodus Foundation, Meals on Wheels, Tree Planting, Asthma NSW, disadvantaged schools and a long list of other beneficiaries. Lions are always among the first to respond in support of disaster relief for floods, bushfires and other emergencies.